Become a Homestay Family
Hosting international students in your home can be a very rewarding experience, giving you a chance to share your city and culture with a student who is here to learn and explore. Becoming a homestay family will give the you the opportunity to:
- Discover another culture as you connect with your homestay student
- Be part of a life-changing experience for an international student
- Get a modest monthly income (amount depends on your location and the meal plan requested)
- Get a new perspective on your own city and culture through the eyes of your student
ILSC recruits many students each year who come to experience language learning in a safe and supported environment. All ILSC homestay families must be willing to do the following:
- Provide furnished private room with bed, desk, closet, dresser, window, sufficient heating and lighting to each student you host.*
- Provide meals according to the requested student meal-plan
- Spend time with your homestay student(s) giving them the opportunity for conversation, warmth and hospitality
- Provide an English speaking environment, French speaking environment (Montreal only), or Hindi speaking environment (New Delhi only).
- Live within 45 minutes from an ILSC campus by public transportation
*Some locations also offer a shared room homestay option, in which case you must provide a furnished room with all the listed ammenities and two beds to accommodate your two students.
ABOUT MEAL PLANS
Depending on your location, and the request from your student, you will be expected to provide one of the following meal plan options:
|Meal Plan||Description||Available Campus|
|Full Board Homestay||
|Half Board Homestay||
If you are interested in becoming an ILSC homestay family, please contact the ILSC's homestay representative in Montreal: +1.514.876.4572
Homestay Family Testimonials
My wife and I have been hosting students for over a year now.
Having guests from different countries from all over the world is a great way to learn about other countries and meet new people. We have made many new friends and even plan to visit them in their home countries in the not too distant future.
There is always an air of excitement around the house when you host students. For most of the students it's there first time in Australia and they are always interested to know as much as possible about Australian culture and way of life.
I enjoy watching them change as their English really starts to improve. They become more confident as they get to know local customs and their way around in Sydney. There is always great conversation covering many different topics from the best types of food and places to visit to various world issues.
Hosting students is not only a great way to meet people and learn about other cultures but is also a great way to understand what your own culture is really like by comparing various similarities and differences.
The international experience you get from hosting students is an exciting and very rewarding one indeed.
Ed & Linda Goyer, Sydney
It has been a rewarding and enriching experience to host the students who have stayed with us in Sydney for homestay. They all have been eager to learn and develop their language skills and knowledge of Australian lifestyle during their stay with us. While in homestay they have become part of our family and we miss all of them when they leave. They enjoy and participate in many family BBQ's and meals and experience our Australian lifestyle with visits to Sydney locations and great conversations about their countries and ours.
They all enjoy the short train journey to ILSC and can see our wonderful landmarks of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge at the station near the college. We look forward to hosting many more students from ILSC but it is always a sad time when they leave us.
Peter & Kate Edwick, Sydney